Historic New Harmony
Visit Historic New HarmonyPlan Your Visit
New Harmony, Indiana, was the site of two separate attempts at a Utopian colony. The first began in 1814 with the Harmonists and their leader Father Rapp. The Harmonists were Lutheran separatists that left in 1824 after Father Rapp sold the town to Robert Owen and William Maclure. Through the 10 years they lived here, over 180 structures were built, and some are still standing today. The second attempt, led by Owen and Maclure was centered on education and knowledge. This attempt at Utopia lasted less than two years.
Historic New Harmony, Inc. was formed in 1974 and a major restoration and revitalization period began in New Harmony, funded primarily by Lilly Endowment, Inc. The Atheneum, a visitor education center designed by architect Richard Meier, opened in 1979.
Today Historic New Harmony is a unified program of the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville and the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites, Inc. Within this National Historic Landmark District are found many original buildings and exhibits related to the Harmonist and Owen/Maclure communities.
Closed for holidays.