PastForward Online 2020: FAQs
What technology will I need to access the online conference?
PastForward Online 2020 will take place online using a virtual platform powered by Socio. We recommend using both the mobile app (for chatting with other attendees) and the desktop version for the best experience. We’ll be offering a training session to help those who are less comfortable using technology to become more comfortable with it, so that everyone can get the most out of the conference, and we’ll have staff available to you to help you as needed. Visit the Virtual Platform page for more information.
I’m having trouble accessing the conference. What do I do?
Can I get continuing education credits (CEUs) for conference sessions?
We have received approval from AIA and APA for CEUs for 32 sessions (town halls, general sessions, and educational sessions). APA has approved 1 CM credit and AIA has approved 1 HSW credit for each. Download a list of sessions with available credits for either association. This information has also been added to session descriptions in the virtual platform.
To receive CEUs:
- APA members will need to self-report attendance.
- AIA members will need to submit this form to email@example.com by November 2, 2020. The National Trust will report your attendance to AIA. CES Conference Attendance Form
Are there any events free and open to the public? And how do I attend them?
There are several events open to the public (these are listed on the registration page). It is important that you still REGISTER for the conference to attend these events, so that you receive virtual viewing links to the email that you use during registration. During the registration process, there’s an option under “Please Select a Type” where you can indicate the free sessions you are primarily interested in. You will NOT need to provide any payment option.
Can I upgrade a free PastForward registration to a full conference registration?
We definitely want you to attend as much of the conference as possible. Once you have received registration confirmation for your free attendance, you will need to call our customer service line to upgrade to a full conference registration, and provide payment over the phone. The contact number is 866-792-5399 and they will be able to assistant you Monday – Friday through hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.
Is there a Code of Conduct?
The National Trust for Historic Preservation wants to ensure that PastForward Online 2020 is a fulfilling experience for all. Accordingly, all PastForward attendees are expected to follow the Code of Conduct, which applies at all PastForward virtual events, sessions, discussion groups, and related online forums.
I have other questions. Who can help me?
For questions about registering for PastForward or an existing registration:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 866-792-5399
- Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Eastern)
For questions about the event itself—including session details, special events, content, and accessing the virtual platform:
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-588-6100
For questions about your Forum Membership, including confirming your membership number:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 202-588-6164
For questions about sponsoring PastForward Online 2020:
- Contact: Colleen Danz
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-588-6498
Will PastForward Online 2020 still include the National Preservation Awards?
Yes! Bob Vila of "This Old House" fame will host this year’s ceremony on the evening of Thursday, October 29. Awards will be presented in seven categories, including the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation National Preservation Awards, the American Express Aspire Award, and the Louise du Pont Crowninshield Award. These awards are bestowed on distinguished individuals from nonprofit organizations, public agencies, and corporations whose skill and determination have given new meaning to their communities through preservation of our architectural and cultural heritage. The event is open to the public, and you won’t want to miss it.
Does the National Trust offer any scholarships to defray the cost of registration?
The Diversity Scholarship Program supports the attendance of those from underrepresented communities new to preservation and of emerging preservation professionals. Those awarded diversity scholarships attend the conference for free. Learn more and apply here. In addition, we offer students a discounted rate of $25 (by October 7), $35 (from October 8-26), and $45 (from October 27-30).
What is the cancellation policy?
All registrations are final, and registration fees will not be refunded. If you’re unable to attend the conference live, nearly all sessions will be recorded and available for viewing for 12 months after the conference.
I’d like to mail in a check instead of paying online by credit card. What’s the address?
Make the check payable to National Trust/PastForward Conference, and send it to:
National Trust/PastForward Conference
c/o Site Solutions Worldwide
PO Box 113
Clifton Park, New York 12065 United States
When and where will PastForward 2021 be held?
PastForward 2021 is scheduled to take place November 3 - 6, 2021, in Washington, D.C., at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.
Where can I find examples of sessions from past conferences to help me decide?
You can view select conference programming on the National Trust's YouTube channel playlists.
Who is on the National Steering Committee?
The National Trust would like to thank this year's National Steering Committee. Through their support and participation we were able to build the content and programming for PastForward Online 2020.
- Desiree Aranda - City Planner and Co-Founder, Latin@s in Heritage Conservation
- Jackie Barton – Cultural Heritage Partners
- Serena Bellew - Deputy Associate Director, Preservation Assistance Programs, National Park Service
- Denise Gilmore - Senior Director of Social Justice and Racial Equality, City of Birmingham (AL)
- Erik Hein – Executive Director, National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers
- Cindy Heitzman - Member of National Preservation Partner Network's Education Committee and Executive Director, California Preservation Foundation
- Alissa Slade Lotane – Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer, Florida Division of Historic Resources
- Sarah Marsom – Co-founder, Rust Belt Coalition of Young Preservationists!
- Vince Michael - Member of National Preservation Partner Network's Education Committee and Executive Director, The Conservation Society for San Antonio
- Margaret O’Neal – Manager of Strategic Partnerships, Congress for New Urbanism
- Stephanie Paul – Executive Director, National Alliance of Preservation Commissions
- Andrew Potts – Tax Attorney, former US/ICOMOS director and co-founder, Climate Heritage Network
- Chris Rupp - Executive Director, Miami Dade Heritage
- Kak Slick - National Trust Advisor and President, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Foundation
- Edward Torrez - National Trust Advisor, Member of Commission on Chicago Landmarks and Principal, Bauer Latoza Studio and Executive Board of Latin@s in Heritage Conservation
- LeJuano Varnell - PastForward Diversity Scholar and Director, Sweet Auburn Works
- Augusta Welsh – graduate student, Missouri Southern State University
Join us for PastForward Online 2020, the historic preservation event of the year, October 27-30, 2020.Tell Me More!