Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden
One of only a few surviving examples of Maryland Telescopic architecture, the Lee-Fendall House Museum was home to several generations of the prominent Lee Family of Virginia from 1785-1903. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital for the Union Army. It is believed that the first successful blood transfusion in America was performed here in 1864. Modern mechanical systems were installed by the local and prominent Downham family, who lived here between 1903-37. The controversial labor leader John L. Lewis was the final resident of the home, from 1937 until his death in 1969. The property is currently owned and managed by the Virginia Trust for Historic Preservation.
Stay connected with us via email. Sign up today.
Speak up for Route 66! Join the National Trust in supporting a National Historic Trail designation for Route 66.Sign the Petition