The Pitot House on Bayou St. John in New Orleans was built in 1799. Named for James Pitot, New Orleans' first American mayor after the Louisiana Purchase, it is the only example of a Creole Colonial style country home open to the public in the city. The ground floor features brick floors, white plaster walls, and an exposed wood beam ceiling. The upstairs portion of the house has wide wood plank flooring, colorful Creole/ Caribbean influenced paint colors, and carved wood mantels. The second floor is furnished with Louisiana and American antiques that date from the early to mid-nineteenth century. Threatened by demolition, the house was moved in 1964 and, in the process, uncovered original decorative elements to guided following restoration efforts.
Stay connected with us via email. Sign up today.
Speak up for Route 66! Join the National Trust in supporting a National Historic Trail designation for Route 66.Sign the Petition