The Maysville Museum
Maysville played a significant role in the 1838 Aroostook War, which led to the establishment of a border between Maine and Canada. The first building on the site was constructed in 1865 to serve as the Maysville Town Hall and School. Following the establishment of the Maysville Grange, the building took on that role as well. The building burned to the ground in 1916 and again in 1939. By 1939, Maysville had been annexed by Presque Isle and, as the town hall space was no longer needed, the building was rebuilt more compactly.
All rural one-room schoolhouses were closed by 1949, leaving only the Grange on the location, which closed in the 1980s due to low attendance. Building ownership reverted to the city and was then sold to a private individual. After yet another partial fire in 2004, the building was in a downward spiral until its historic value was recognized by Presque Isle Historical Society, who raised funds to purchase and renovate the site in 2011.
The restoration was finally completed in 2017 to serve as a small museum with cornerstone exhibits on the Aroostook War, Presque Isle's one-room schoolhouses, Presque Isle & the Civil War, and agriculture. In November 2017, Presque Isle Historical Society was awarded an Honor Award from Maine Preservation for its restoration efforts on this historic property.
The museum is open from May through October.
The 1875 Vera Estey House Museum is also owned by Presque Isle Historical Society.
Benefits for National Trust Members
Free Admission; 10% Discount in Gift Shop