Together with American Express, we at the National Trust for Historic Preservation are once again offering the Backing Historic Small Restaurants Grant Program to aid restaurant recovery amid ongoing challenges related to the pandemic.
Our mission: award $40,000 grants to 25 historic small restaurants across the country to improve, upgrade, and preserve their exterior physical spaces and online operations so they can better serve their customers, financially recover, and grow their businesses.
This search began on March 21, 2022, to find cozy cafes, delicious dives, and other beloved restaurants that have stood the test of time and continue to contribute to their neighborhood’s unique history. Our focus was on independent small restaurants that have been in business for more than 25 years, operate in historic buildings or neighborhoods, and have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic. And thousands of you responded!
Nominations are now closed both to restaurant owners and to the general public, and we expect to announce the 25 awardees in early July 2022.
2021 Back Historic Small Restaurants Grant Recipients
Launched in 2021 at the beginning of the pandemic, these 25 small historic restaurants each received a $40,000 grant to help them improve, upgrade, and preserve their exterior physical spaces and online businesses.
- The Four Way Restaurant, Memphis, Tennessee
- Dooky Chase Restaurant, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Stutts House of Bar-B-Q, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Suehiro Café, Los Angeles, California
- Maneki Restaurant, Seattle, Washington
- Casa Vicky, San Jose, California
- Chinatown Garden, Washington, D.C.
- La Posta de Mesilla, Mesilla, New Mexico
- Daddy Dz BBQ Joynt, Atlanta, Georgia
- Ben's Chili Bowl, Washington, D.C.
- John's Place, Cookeville, Tennessee
- Alfreda's Soul Food, Houston, Texas
- Kegel's Inn, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Galloways Landing Bar & Restaurant, Boquerón, Puerto Rico
- Tex Miller's Hamburgers, Cameron, Texas
- Historic Neir's Tavern, New York, New York
- Baker’s Keyboard Lounge, Detroit, Michigan
- Nakato Japanese Restaurant, Atlanta, Georgia
- Lee Lee's Baked Goods, New York, New York
- Sweetheart Cafe & Tea, Oakland, California
- El Cristo Restaurant, Miami, Florida
- Harold & Belle's Restaurant, Los Angeles, California
- Wanda J's Next Generation Soul Food Restaurant, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- La Fonda El Taquito, Kansas City, Missouri
- Ray's Luncheonette Inc., Montclair, New Jersey