Benjamin Chew, colonial Chief Justice of Pennsylvania, constructed Cliveden on the 5.5-acre property from 1763 to 1767 as a summer home for his family. In 1777, the house was the scene of the Battle of Germantown, a pivotal action between George Washington’s troops and the British. The home remained occupied by the Chew family for seven generations thereafter (over 200 years).
In 1972, the Chew family transferred ownership of Cliveden, its remaining 5.5 acres of parkland, and its collection of artifacts to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
National Trust for Historic Preservation Member Discount
Fifty percent discount on regular public tours: one adult for individual Members; two adults and all children under 18 years of age in the immediate family for all other Members. Discount does not apply to other programs and cannot be combined with other offers.
To receive discount, valid membership card must be presented at time of visit. Please contact site directly to ensure that discount is available on date of planned visit and for specific tour desired.
Stay connected with us via email. Sign up today.
Honoring movers and shakers who are expanding our view of what it means to save places.Meet the 40