Transitions: Restored—Belluschi Pavilion
In each Transitions section of Preservation magazine, we highlight places of local and national importance that have recently been restored, are currently threatened, have been saved from demolition or neglect, or have been lost. Here's one from Fall 2015.
After years in a storage locker, a 951-square-foot Midcentury Modern house designed by architect Pietro Belluschi for newlyweds Arthur and Lucy Griffith has been renewed as a “living classroom” and arts space for Marylhurst University, just south of Portland. The Griffiths lived in the 1951 house for more than half a century, until Lucy passed away in 2006 and Arthur put it on the market.
The following year, local construction company owner Tim Mather bought the house after it was threatened with demolition. Mather disassembled and cataloged the entire structure, placing each of the 2,000 pieces in storage until he could find a home for them.
After Marylhurst expressed interest in buying the residence and reconstructing it, Mather meticulously reassembled it on the university’s campus, with assistance from Belluschi’s architect son, Anthony. University staff furnished it with period pieces, such as Eames chairs and lounges.