COFO Civil Rights Education Center
Established in 1961, the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) was as an umbrella organization designed to unify and meet the needs of the increasing number of civil rights organizations in Mississippi. In 1963, the COFO moved to 1017 John R. Lynch Street. This office served as the state headquarters for the Mississippi movement. The location was ideal for attracting and nurturing community and student involvement within the Civil Rights movement. For decades, the street was also an important gathering place for African Americans, as it contained Jackson State College (now JSU), Campbell College, the historic Masonic Temple (which housed NAACP field secretary Medgar Evers’ offices), and many other African American businesses.
J.R. Lynch Street was the cradle of civil rights activity in Jackson, Mississippi. Over the years, the neighborhood would witness numerous protests, marches, mass meetings, and demonstrations. The COFO was instrumental in organizing the 1963 Freedom Vote, the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, and the 1964 Mississippi Summer Project. Reopened by Jackson State University in 2011, the COFO Civil Rights Education Center honors the past, tackles the issues of the present, and offers hope for the future. Since its opening, the COFO Center has hosted many international visitors. Although it is dedicated to preserving the past, the COFO Center is also committed to challenging and cultivating young minds and fostering the development of future leaders and community builders.
To visit the COFO Civil Rights Education Center, contact the staff of the Margaret Walker Center at 601-979-3935 or email@example.com.