National Register Guide, Episode 4: Why Should I List a Property?
As fantastic as it is, the National Register of Historic Places can get a little confusing -- even for a seasoned pro. But fear not, because the PreservationNation blog has teamed up with Jim Gabbert, a historian with the National Park Service, to create our National Register Guide.
Episode Four explains some of the less tangible reasons why listing a property on the National Register is important, and how listing a property can affect a community’s perception of itself. This video answers specific questions like:
- Why would I want to list a property in the National Register?
- What are some of the less tangible effects of listing a property on the National Register?
- Can listing in the National Register help with local planning?
- Can listing in the National Register help with fundraising?
- Can the National Register be used as a teaching tool?
- How does utilizing place-based history benefit the local community?
We hope you enjoy the show.
Special thanks to the President Woodrow Wilson House for filming accommodations.