National Register Guide, Episode 7: Establishing Significance
As fantastic as it is, the National Register of Historic Places can get a little confusing -- even for a seasoned pro. But fear not, because the PreservationNation blog has teamed up with Jim Gabbert, a historian with the National Park Service, to create our National Register Guide.
Episode Six of our National Register of Historic Places Guide explored the formula for creating a narrative statement of significance that will give your property the best chance of being listed on the National Register. Episode Seven of our guide explains how to actually establish a property's historic significance.
This episode answers specific questions such as:
- What is the success of a National Register nomination based on?
- Does my property need to be nationally significant to be listed in the National Register?
- What role does historic context play in establishing significance?
- What does "historic context" really mean?
- What are some potential themes that relate to historic significance?
- How do you actually establish a property's significance?
We hope you enjoy the show.
Special thanks to the President Woodrow Wilson House for filming accommodations.